Winter gets cold, even in LA! Our immune system has to work extra hard during the cold and flu season. My secrets to thriving during the colder months include warming, immunity boosting, and delicious hot drinks.
Also known as a turmeric latte, this drink is better than any pill when it comes to fighting inflammation! Turmeric is good for the immune system but it also makes the skin glow, and helps with digestion. The health benefits of turmeric are enhanced by adding black pepper to it. This combination might not sound initially appealing, but I promise you will love this golden mylk!
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk you like)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup, coconut sugar or any other sweetener
- pour the milk into a pot and add all ingredients.
- Whisk together until all ingredients are well combined
- Keep stirring until the milk is hot
- Pour into a mug, get your blanket and chill
Mascha’s Magic Potion
This superfood blend is a perfect digestive aid. It includes matcha powder which is high in antioxidants and can help your system fight any seasonal bugs. Blended with other functional, powerful ingredients this drink is guaranteed to keep you glowing even when it is grey and cold outside!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk you like)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of matcha powder
- ½ teaspoon of chaga mushroom powder
- ½ teaspoon of cacao powder
- a dash of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of agave nectar for sweetness
- Pour milk into a pot and cook on medium heat
- Whisk the powder into warm almond milk
- For a smoother texture, you can pour the mixture into blender and mix for a minute
Elevated Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is the ultimate comfort drink of winter. It brings back childhood memories and makes you feel cozy. Believe it or not, chocolate can be healthy! Cocoa is rich in antioxidants and can even boost brain health. I love blending maca root into my hot chocolate. Maca root is considered an ‘adaptogen’, which means that it can help the body naturally adapt to stressors. It may also help to balance hormones. The cinnamon and agave balance the flavors out nicely in this elevated version of a classic favorite.
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 heaping teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of maca root powder
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut sugar or agave nectar
- dash of cinnamon
- Heat up the milk in a pot
- Stir in all other ingredients
- Whisk until the drink has a smooth texture
I hope these delicious drinks help you power through winter without getting run down!